While WordPress offers a simple content management system coupled with straightforward plugins, there comes a time when you might need to hire WordPress developers.
I’m talking about those occasions when you realize that you’ve hit a wall, and could use some help from a specialized WordPress expert.
Now that’s precisely where we come in. As a site that specializes in WordPress resources, we’ve taken the time to research what’s out there in the world of popular WordPress job marketplaces. We’ll be walking through nine websites that have proven to be the best places to hire WordPress developers.
Note; This guide doesn’t feature WordPress development agencies. It only focuses on platforms where you can quickly hire freelance WordPress developers for both short-term and long-term projects directly. Then to help you make up your mind, we’ve included even the positives and negatives of each option.
Here are the top sites to hire WordPress developers
Now that we’ve shared why you might need a specialized WordPress developer, let’s look at the nine best platforms for finding one!
Codeable touts itself as the “only WordPress freelancer platform“.
But, make no mistake about it. While it’s a freelancing platform for WordPress developers alright, it’s not open to just any WordPress developer. What I mean is, Codeable does really take its time to choose the best of the best. Only the few who successfully make it through its strict vetting process are hired as WordPress developers.
And speaking of which, it’s worth noting that although Codeable is very exclusive, it doesn’t cost much to hire its WordPress developers. You can expect to pay about $70 – $120 per hour for both short-term and long-term projects.
The hiring process itself is pretty straightforward. You just need to tell Codeable what you need, and it’ll link you up with qualified WordPress coders.
What’s more, Codeable is 100% risk-free. That means that once you hire WordPress developers, the platform backs you up, and proceeds to refund everything if you find the results disappointing.
👍 Pros of hiring WordPress developers from Codeable
- You get to work with well-vetted WordPress developers.
- Codeable is 100% risk-free.
- The platform matches you up with suitable professionals.
- Estimates are free of charge.
👎 Cons of hiring WordPress developers from Codeable
- $70 – $120 can be a steep price for beginners.
- Codeable has only about 510+ WordPress developers on the platform.
Unlike Codeable, Toptal is a freelance platform for all sorts of professionals. Apart from WordPress developers, you’ll find designers, software programmers, project managers, etc.
The one thing it shares with Codeable is, picking only the very best in the fields. As it turns out, Toptal typically accepts less than 3% of the more than 100,000 applications it receives every year. So, by hiring its WordPress developers, you can rest assured that you’ll be leveraging some of the best talents on the globe.
The platform gets you started by asking a couple of questions on the type of service you’re looking for, as well as your project duration and budget. Then based on your answers, it’ll match you up with the most suitable WordPress developers.
Ultimately, you can expect to spend about $1,000 – $1,600 for a week-long project.
👍 Pros of hiring WordPress developers from Toptal
- You get to choose from the top 3% WordPress developers on the globe.
- The hiring process is pretty basic and straightforward.
- Toptal finds suitable WordPress developers based on your needs.
👎 Cons of hiring WordPress developers from Toptal
- The platform charges an initial fee.
- The rates can be steep for some WordPress site owners.
3. Envato Studio
Envato is one of the most renowned marketplaces for digital resources such as WordPress themes and plugins. Then if you’re looking to hire WordPress developers, you basically go to the freelance section of its platform – which is otherwise known as Envato Studio.
The studio itself grants you access to thousands of developers, designers, and creatives for different types of projects to help you start your web design business. But, unlike other job marketplaces, you won’t be requesting experts to bid on your project. Instead, you get to hire WordPress developers by simply handpicking them based on their qualifications, portfolios, prices, and community recommendations.
You can get started by searching for the type of WordPress developers you need. Then once you connect with a professional, Envato will receive payment on their behalf. The money is subsequently withheld until the project is completed to your satisfaction.
👍 Pros of hiring WordPress developers from Envato Studio
- The platform offers access to thousands of freelancers.
- You get to handpick WordPress developers based on their qualifications and recommendations.
- Envato Studio withholds developers’ payments until their projects are completed.
👎 Cons of hiring WordPress developers from Envato Studio
- Envato Studio doesn’t thoroughly vet its freelancers.
You may also be interested in:
- How to Write a Business Plan That’s Made for Success
- 9 Best Free Business Name Generators + How to Use Them
- 10 Multi-Million Companies Built With Software Development Outsourcing and Remote Work
4. WordPress Jobs
If you’d prefer hiring WordPress developers from a basic job board, then WordPress Jobs is certainly worth a try.
Owned by WordPress.org, WordPress Jobs is undoubtedly one of the biggest platforms for all types of WordPress expertise. It comes in the form of a standard forum that allows you to post job listings for free.
In fact, you won’t even need an account. Just enter your particulars and the WordPress development project details in the Post Job area, then hit Submit. The admin team will promptly review your listing and then proceed to post it alongside other job requests.
As such, you should be able to reach out to a wide audience of prospective WordPress developers. The only problem is, it takes time to separate the best talents from random responses.
👍 Pros of hiring WordPress developers from WordPress Jobs
- Posting a job listing is quick and entirely free of charge.
- You get access to a wide pool of WordPress developers.
👎 Cons of hiring WordPress developers from WordPress Jobs
- Identifying the best WordPress developers from the lot can be a challenge.
WPHired is another job board for all sorts of technical WordPress-related projects. Unlike WordPress Jobs, though, WPHired is a fully independent platform. That means it entirely focuses on helping you find the best possible contractors – it doesn’t feed off a primary site.
Now, when it comes to hiring WordPress developers, WPHired happens to give you the benefit of posting job ads for free. And that’s not all. It turns out you can post as many ads as you want.
However, the kicker is, the free job posts can only run for 30 days – which, when you come to think of it, are more than enough to find and hire WordPress developers. Otherwise, if you’d like to boost your odds, running three featured job ads for 60 days will cost you $39.99.
👍 Pros of hiring WordPress developers from WPHired
- You can post an unlimited number of job ads for free.
- Reaching out to WordPress developers is quick and easy.
👎 Cons of hiring WordPress developers from WPHired
- Free job ads only run for 30 days.
- The platform leaves the vetting to you.
6. GitHub Jobs
Boasting over 56 million members, GitHub is one of the biggest developer communities in the world. And in addition to its open-source online repositories for coders, it offers a neat easy-to-use job board – through which you should be able to reach out to a wide audience of WordPress developers.
Please note, however, that while GitHub Jobs appears as basic as WordPress Jobs, posting a job here is not free of charge. A single job posting will cost you about $450, which is fully understandable when you consider the benefits that come with it.
For instance, GitHub makes it easy for you to find the most qualified WordPress developers. You get to compare them based on their areas of expertise, coding history, etc.
👍 Pros of hiring WordPress developers from GitHub Jobs
- The platform grants you access to a wide pool of WordPress talents.
- You get to compare various candidates based on their job history.
- The job board is simple and straightforward.
👎 Cons of hiring WordPress developers from GitHub Jobs
- A single job listing will cost you $450.
- Job listings only run for 30 days.
7. Smashing Jobs
Smashing Jobs is run by Smashing Magazine, which happens to be one of the most dominant web development publications online. The site itself attracts more than four million visitors each month. As such, you can bet this is one place that’s frequented by some of the most talented WordPress developers.
If you’d like to hire one, posting a job on Smashing Jobs will cost you about $75 for freelance gigs, and $225 for full-time positions. That will keep your posting active for two months, which is more than enough for anyone who’s looking to hire WordPress developers.
👍 Pros of hiring WordPress developers from Smashing Jobs
- Job postings run for two months.
- Posting a job ad here will cost you as low as $75.
- Smashing Jobs is quite popular among WordPress developers.
👎 Cons of hiring WordPress developers from Smashing Jobs
- The platform leaves the vetting to you.
- Posting an ad for a full-time job position will cost you $225.
Speaking of freelance gigs, here’s a truly dedicated platform for short-term freelance jobs. Freelancer.com is, without doubt, one of the largest online job marketplaces. It connects you to all types of freelancers – from artists and writers to designers and coders, including WordPress developers.
Then get this – posting a job here won’t cost you anything. Freelancer will ask you for your project details and budget, then proceed to post the listing for free. What’s more, it’ll invite qualified professionals to make bids.
At that point, you can compare various WordPress professionals based on their bid rates, profile recommendations, plus their corresponding job completion histories. Then as soon as you award the job, you’ll notice that Freelancer.com deducts a 3% project fee while processing payment.
All in all, hiring WordPress developers on Freelancer.com could cost you anything from a few bucks to thousands of dollars. It all depends on the scale of the project.
👍 Pros of hiring WordPress developers from Freelancer.com
- Freelancer.com is very flexible in terms of the project budget.
- Posting jobs here is entirely free of charge.
- You get access to a wide pool of freelancers.
👎 Cons of hiring WordPress developers from Freelancer.com
- It’s not ideal for long-term projects.
- You cannot exchange contact information with candidates.
Upwork, which was previously known as Elance, is yet another job marketplace for freelance gigs. And just like Freelancer.com, it links you up with job seekers across different fields – web development, graphic design, journalism, software programming, etc.
When it comes to hiring WordPress developers, you’ll only be required to set up an account, provide the project details, specify a budget, and then Upwork will proceed to match you up with ideal WordPress experts.
And in case you’re wondering, the answer is no. It doesn’t cost anything to post a job here. And when it goes live, you get to invite qualified candidates to submit their proposals. You can then compare the candidates by their rates, as well as the respective job success rates. Also, it’s possible to reach out to a candidate directly and then hire them with a single click.
Overall, I’d say Upwork is ideal when you’re working as a team to vet and hire WordPress developers. It offers great collaboration tools, which allow you to divide hiring tasks between team members.
👍 Pros of hiring WordPress developers from Upwork
- It doesn’t cost anything to post a job.
- The platform comes with great collaboration tools.
- You get to compare candidates by their job histories.
- You can hire individuals as well as agencies.
👎 Cons of hiring WordPress developers from Upwork
- Upwork is only best for short-term projects.
Over to you – where to hire WordPress developers
Once you’ve decided to hire a freelancer, with these solid options, we bet you’ll now have an easy time finding the best WordPress developers for your projects.
- 🌱 If you’re just getting started, I’d advise try out free platforms like WordPress Jobs and WPHired, or maybe the likes of Freelancer.com and Upwork.
- 👨💻 GitHub Jobs, Smashing Jobs, and Envato Studio, on the other hand, are best for general WordPress projects.
- 💪 Toptal and Codeable are great places to hire specialized WordPress developers.
Where is the best place to find WordPress developers? Let us know in the comments below!
Don’t forget to join our crash course on speeding up your WordPress site. Learn more below:
Layout and presentation by Chris Fitzgerald and Karol K.