We might not know everything, but we do know two things – we know WordPress and we know why you’re here. You’re here because you’re looking for the best WordPress themes available in 2023. At least we hope that’s why you’re here, because that’s exactly what we’re going to give you.
Our team of WordPress professionals has searched the four corners of the WordPress repository and the outer galaxies of the internet, all so we could assemble this list of crème de la crème WordPress themes.
If a theme made it onto this list, it’s a pretty big deal.
Think about it: As of the time of this writing, there are more than 10,000 WordPress themes in the WordPress repository and countless more that are offered directly through developers’ websites.
We narrowed that list down to only 20 of the best. That represents less than 0.002% of the available stock. When we tell you that these are the best WordPress themes available, we’re talking about a very exclusive club. As an added bonus, the majority of them are completely free (with optional premium upgrades), so if you want your WordPress website to shine in 2023, then continue reading. The beginning of your future success starts now.
Best WordPress themes in 2023
It’s often been said that you can’t please everybody, but whoever said that, hasn’t met Neve. Beginners building their first WordPress site love Neve for its ease of use and compatibility with popular website builders, while seasoned web developers appreciate it for its full gauntlet of features, fast performance, reliable code, and consistent updates. With its mobile-first approach, Neve can really make your WordPress website shine.
- Lighting fast (can load in less than one second)
- Simple to set up and easy to use
- Seamlessly integrates with all popular page builders
- Extremely lightweight (Google will love you)
- Customizable header and footer
- Quality code and full support
- Reliable updates
- Over 100 ready-to-import starter sites
Searching for divine inspiration to build your new WordPress site? Look no further than Divi! To start, Divi’s developers have replaced the native WordPress editor with an alternative visual site builder that’s built into the theme itself. It’s so easy to use and its features are so next-level that many have dubbed it “the future of WYSIWYG.” Whether you’re a pro developer or a WordPress newbie, Divi will empower you to design your WordPress site with mind-blowing efficiency. Check out more below.
- Add, delete, and move elements around on the front end of your website without code
- Design your page in real time and see the results instantly using intuitive visual controls
- Developers can easily combine Divi’s beginner-friendly framework with their own custom CSS
- Divi is responsive and gives you full control over how your website looks on mobile devices
- Save and manage unlimited custom designs, and easily re-use them to jump-start new pages
- Manage your entire website’s appearance using global elements and website-wide design settings
- Don’t worry about mistakes because you can undo, redo, or jump to anywhere in your edit history
- Access dozens of royalty-free photos, icons, and illustrations to save you time and money
- Over 2,000 pre-made website layouts come packaged right inside of Divi at no extra cost
- Over 40 website elements for anything you can think of: CTA buttons, forms, testimonials, etc
- Join a devoted community of users on every continent except Antarctica (sorry penguins!)
- Divi’s developers stand by the quality of their theme with a 30 day money-back guarantee
- $89 per year
- $249 for lifetime access
What happens when high performance takes a great user experience out to lunch and they fall in love? Hestia happens. This stylish one page theme is sure to make your WordPress website stand out in a crowded, competitive space. Not only will the search engines and your visitors be fans, but you’ll also feel right at home when using it. Take a peek at all the wonderful features below.
- Slick material design to impress site visitors
- Seamless integration with the block editor and all popular page builders
- WooCommerce online store capability
- SEO-ready structure, plus a clean and optimized source code
- Live customizer (see changes in real-time as you make them)
- Ultra-fast loading times
- One-click updates and fast support
- Powerful, responsive, and user-friendly mega menu (arrange and organize submenu content)
With thousands of active installations across the internet, there’s a reason that WordPress lovers continue to put their faith in Sydney. Actually, there isn’t a reason, there are many. Sydney offers a plethora of customizations, including full control over layout and color schemes, logo uploads, sticky menus and lots more. If that’s not enough, you can import one of their templates to get your WordPress website up-and-running in no time.
- Stunning design options (control the color, text, buttons, etc)
- Multiple menu choices (static, sticky, inline, centered, transparent)
- 18 professionally designed starter sites (three are included in the free version)
- 11 footer widget layouts with editable footer credits
- Full WooCommerce integration
- Optimized for Core Web Vitals
- Compatible with the most popular language translation plugins
- Recommended by and fully integrated with the Elementor site builder
With 1,785,202 downloads across the web, and a very noticeable 98% average review rating on the WordPress repository, Ashe has rightfully earned a spot on this list of best WordPress themes. Besides the numbers – which speak for themselves – Ashe is just downright beautiful. Even a quick look at the demo mockup images validate its aesthetic awesomeness. Oh, and we didn’t even get into the features yet. Check ’em out below.
- Built with SEO in mind and works with the most popular SEO plugins
- Adapts to any kind of device, from mobile to hi-res Retina displays
- Feature up to five of your most recent blog posts in the header area
- Display up to three eye-catching linked images in the header area
- Designed to be translation ready, with full RTL support as well
- Integrates with MailPoet so you can grow your email list
- Created to be GDPR compliant, which is one less thing to worry about
- WooCommerce compatible if you want to start dabbling in ecommerce
“Ad astra” is a Latin phrase meaning “to the stars,” and with the type of numbers this WordPress theme has put up on the board, “to the stars” is fitting. With over a million active installations on the internet, it’s no wonder that the official Astra page braggadociously bills itself as the most popular theme of all time. If you want your WordPress website to reach the moon, Astra might be just the theme to get you there.
- Lightweight theme with excellent performance based on test results
- Pixel perfect website demos available in the Astra library to reduce web design time
- WordPress Customizer so you can customize your WordPress site without relying on code
- Seamless integration with Elementor, BeaverBuilder, Yoast, LearnDash, and other popular tools
- Ability to turn off the page title and sidebar to create full-width pages with design freedom
- Several header layout options built-in (Pro version has even more)
- Full control over width, content and even the meta of blog posts & archive pages
- Brand continuity through global color and font settings to maintain a consistent look
It’s 2023. Hype alone isn’t going to make your WordPress website excel. If you’re searching for a theme that’s backed up by some serious performance numbers, then OceanWP is here to answer that call. The staggering amount of positive reviews (currently rated 98%) that OceanWP has accumulated is a testament to the fact that it is doing something right. Check out the features below for a deeper dive.
- Fully customizable with no coding skills required
- Multiple menus, including three different mobile menu styles
- Visibility control (show only what you want and where you want it)
- Full color and typography settings
- Breadcrumb options to help reduce your bounce rate
- Seven pre-made headers with customization capability
- Adjustable logos for normal, large and mobile screens
- WooCommerce integration (build an online store with ease)
Kadence is a theme with a lot to offer for anyone looking to build a WordPress website. Right off the bat, there is an extensive library of no-code-required, ready-to-use starter site templates. You can import one of these, swap out some text and photos, and have your WordPress site live in no time. If you’d rather march to the beat of your own cadence, you can do that too. Kadence is compatible with many popular page builder plug-ins, including Elementor, and Beaver Builder. See more features below.
- Header & footer builder with an easy-to-use, drag-and-drop interface
- Global color palette so you can change colors site wide with a few mouse clicks
- Global typography with any Google font or web-safe font applied to your whole site
- Global button settings to create the perfect button style that will apply to buttons across your site
- Built-in breadcrumb generator to enable breadcrumbs and keep visitors on your site longer
- Social icons for your header and footer so you can connect your site with your community
- Fully responsive from tiny screens to large monitors and you can customize to your liking
- Built with the best SEO Practices for markup and schema where needed
PopularFX is simple, but powerful enough to help you build a quality WordPress website. It uses Pagelayer, which is a drag-and-drop page builder that makes it easy for even the most beginner WordPress user to create a website quickly. With visual editing, every change you make appears right in front of you in real-time. This way you know exactly what you are getting without having to use code.
- Lightweight and provides great performance
- Includes hundreds of pre-made templates to build your dream website fast
- Fully responsive layout so it will fit your desktop screen all the way down to your smartphone
- “Translation-Ready” and RTL language support, so you can use whatever language is best for you
- Choose your width layout with left sidebar, right sidebar, or full width (no sidebar)
- Customize various aspects of your WordPress site, including the background, logo, and menu
- Use threaded comments to organize conversations with your visitors
- Beautify your page headings and titles with a variety of typography options
As its name implies, Customify is a theme that was made to bend to your will. Openly advertising itself as “the most customizable WordPress theme on the market,” it has a lot of flexibility as you’d expect, but the advantages don’t stop there. It’s also compatible with all the popular page builders, optimized for speed and SEO, and offers email support if you need help while building your WordPress website.
- Dozens of available pre-made sites ready to import
- Edit and see the changes in real-time with the built-in visual editor
- Elementor, Brizy, BeaverBuilder, ThriveArchitect, and other page builder integration also available
- High-level of customization including unlimited typography settings
- Create a header or footer exactly the way you want it to be displayed
- Plus a unique header specifically for mobile devices
- Responsive edit modes to customize how you want a page to look on desktop, tablet, and mobile
- Pro version offers even more, including infinity scroll and mega menu for large sites
If you’re a WordPress beginner and feel intimidated at the thought of building your own WordPress website, then Blocksy’s tagline will speak to your soul: “Build your next web project visually in minutes, without coding skills.” Blocksy doesn’t only make you feel at ease, but also offers plenty of features for both beginners and seasoned WordPress users to get excited about. Check them out below.
- Built to work with popular WordPress page builders like Elementor, Brizy, and BeaverBuilder
- Hyper-intuitive options to customize and change every part of your website in real-time
- Ability to manage and access color and background options where and when you need them
- Freedom to change the typography in each part of your website – globally or locally
- Five types of modern and clean archive layouts for your blog posts
- SEO ready right from the first line of code
- Modern page hero/title sections with parallax effects and more
- Related posts section to reduce the bounce rate by displaying more recommended content
Royal Elementor Kit
If you’ve explored the world of WordPress even casually, then there’s a good chance you’ve already come across the Elementor page builder. It’s one the most popular tools of its kind available for WordPress. While Elementor is an excellent tool in its own right, the Royal Elementor Kit takes that strong foundation and moves it up several notches. Even if you’re building your site on a budget, you can put on your royal garments and build a WordPress site that’s worthy of a King (or Queen).
- Over 45 ready-to-use templates that were built using Elementor and Royal Elementor Add-ons
- Access to more than 50 premium widgets
- Customize archives, posts, default pages, 404 pages, etc
- Choose where and how your header, footer, or other templates appear
- Option to make a sticky (fixed) header
- Build any type of pop-ups ranging from email subscriptions to sales promotions
- Use the parallax effect to create visually stunning backgrounds
- If you have the knowledge, add custom CSS to your widgets for maximum customization
If you’re craving blueberries, you don’t go to the market and buy bananas. You buy blueberries. By the same token, if you’re looking to build a WooCommerce-based storefront, why would you not install the Storefront? It only makes sense. This theme is specifically designed to work with WooCommerce so that you can build a successful WordPress store faster than you can eat a carton of blueberries.
- Designed and developed by WooCommerce Core developers
- Integrates with many of the most popular customer facing WooCommerce extensions
- Offers several layout and color options to personalize your shop
- Contains multiple widget areas
- Comes with a responsive design so that your WordPress store will shine in any format
- Features a lean and extensible codebase (don’t hold back your developer drool)
- Hundreds of thousands of active installations across the internet
- Hyper-focused homepage layout with ecommerce as the backbone
Zakra’s tagline is “the only theme you’ll ever need.” That’s a bold statement, but Zakra backs it up with a host of features and close to 100 pre-made starter templates. You probably won’t even get through all of them before you find one that will fit your future WordPress website. You will also love Zakra for its ease of use, where custom coding is welcome, but completely optional.
- User support for both free and pro versions of Zakra
- Optimized for speed to keep site loading time to a minimum
- SEO-optimized and works with major SEO plugins
- Compatible with the block editor and Elementor site builder
- Tested with all major browsers to ensure a consistently clean aesthetic look
- Widget areas are available on important areas of the theme from header to footer
- Translation-ready so that any hardcoded English text can be translated to another language
- Option to use custom CSS to tweak the look and the design of the theme
The7 theme gives you unparalleled creative freedom. Whether you are a beginner just getting started with web development, a seasoned pro, or somewhere in between, this theme is sure to appeal to you. The7 includes 60+ prebuilt websites complete with exclusive templates for Elementor, WPBakery Page Builder, and Slider Revolution. Import them in one click and mix, match, or change the elements most important to you. Create an aesthetic, functional foundation for your WordPress site within minutes!
- Compatible with the latest WordPress and WooCommerce releases
- Import high-quality, pre-made websites with a single click and get your site up and running fast
- Choose a preferred site layout, upload your logo, select a desired color scheme, fonts, and more
- Designed for Elementor, Elementor Pro and PRO Elements so you can build your site your way
- Comes with WPBakery Page Builder (formerly Visual Composer) for another way to build your site
- Access the WooCommerce Theme Builder to convert your site into an online shop and sell
- Includes Ultimate Addons, Slider Revolution, The7 Elements, Go Pricing Tables, and ConvertPlus
- Can be used with popular WordPress plugins like WPML, Yoast SEO, W3 Total Cache, and others
- Advanced page templates system allows you to pick hundreds of settings for posts, pages, etc
- 26 general content widgets, 24 WooCommerce widgets, and 22 theme builder widgets included
- Optional visuals like floating headers that change size and colors on scroll will engage visitors
- Free lifetime updates, ongoing assistance, and six months of priority support to keep you on track
- $39 for a regular license
- $2,950 for an extended license
You know when a theme has the squared² exponent as part of its name that it’s trying to make a statement. Spend a few minutes using Monstroid² to build your WordPress site, and you’ll come to understand that it does indeed offer exponentially more than what’s on the WordPress theme market today. The fact that it was created by top industry leaders in web design and user experience probably has something to do with it. Get into the features below.
- More than 300 pre-built page templates, all SEO-optimized, are included with the theme
- Over 50 blog layouts and ten single post layouts for the ultimate in design options
- Great diversity of demo content ranging from attractive images to engaging icons
- Compatible with the Elementor page-builder
- JetElements add exquisite modules to Elementor’s already powerful functionality
- JetMenu feature allows you to insert images, video sections, or a tab with a product to your menu
- WooCommerce-ready, with layouts to showcase product descriptions, prices, and CTA buttons
- Works with many popular, useful plugins like Yoast SEO, Mailchimp, WPML, JetPack, and more
- Stylish website search tool with auto-suggest to let visitors quickly find what they need on your site
- Four different coming soon pages and four undergoing maintenance pages
- Five pre-built pricing page templates to showcase your offerings
- Knowledge base documentation and a support team ready to help you if you get stuck
- $82 personal license for use with one personal website
- $107 commercial license for use with up to five websites
Going beyond others or beyond due limit. That is the dictionary definition of ultra, and the Ultra theme lives up to the definition in every way. The developers at Themify went above and beyond to give you a theme that includes design skins, pre-made demo sites, responsive layouts, slider backgrounds, video backgrounds, parallax scrolling, custom styling, animations, and more. Check out a partial list of some additional features below and get excited about building your WordPress site. It’s gonna be ultra!
- One-click demo setups containing pre-built settings, content, menus, widgets, etc
- Unlimited layouts using the drag-and-drop builder, responsive options, animations, etc
- Parallax scrolling, custom styling, and animations are all at your disposal
- Site-wide or page-specific customizations are made with ease
- 15 header styles, including both the no-header option and the sticky-header option
- Six header background choices ranging from image, video, slider, transparent, or color-based
- Six footer layout choices let you toggle visibility of the footer logo, menu, widget, and credit text
- Single post layouts have a default setting, with four additional unique layouts to pick from
- Beautiful typography, a few pre-sets, and the option to upload over 600+ Google Fonts
- Full section scrolling feature allows visitors to view your page one row at a time like a slideshow
- Mega menu allows you to show recent posts, multi-column drop-downs, and even add widgets
- Easily display a coming soon page on the front-end of your site while you craft your masterpiece
- $59 one-time fee for the standard purchase, which includes a 30-day money back guarantee plus one year of support and updates
- $69 for the developer option
- $89 for the master club option
What do you want your new WordPress site to be? A fun project? A source of future income? Whatever it might be, the Betheme can help you achieve it. When you invest in the Betheme, you’ll not only be buying a theme, you’ll be joining a community. The developers will value your voice, which means you’ll have a say in what features will be added to the theme via a simple voting mechanism. How cool is that? Be ready to be impressed as you learn more about the Betheme below.
- Comes with hundreds of pre-built websites so you can easily import any demo with just a click
- Bundled with BeBuilder, which is one of the fastest and most flexible page builders for WordPress
- Choose between 22 different entry effects on scroll to grab your visitors’ attention and keep it
- Custom font uploader that allows you to upload any font you want and use it across your website
- Multiple header styles at your fingertips: modern, classic, left stack, right stack, simple, and empty
- Social media icons, a custom footer menu, and built-in breadcrumbs to keep visitors engaged
- 100% responsive design so your WordPress site will look great on screens of all sizes
- Over 3,000 pages you can copy from any pre-built Betheme website to adjust to your own needs
- More than 100 pre-built blocks ready to use at the click of your mouse or trackpad
- Add, edit, and move over 80 elements, including buttons, popups, images, and more
- Under construction, maintenance mode, and blank page options until you’re ready to go live
- Customer support with a 24-hour turnaround time for forum posts, tickets, and private messages
- $60 for a regular license
- $2,950 for an extended license
X The Theme
X marks the spot, and if your spot is a fast, responsive WordPress site that’s been built to your exact specifications, then X is the theme to get you there. It’s an intuitive, beginner-friendly theme with no coding required. With the in-house Cornerstone page-builder, you’ll be able to “build in the browser” so what you’ll see is what you’ll get. However, for those of you who do prefer to play with code, you’ll also have access to the custom code feature, which will allow you to see your tweaks in real time.
- Over a decade of updates and continuous improvements by the team behind the theme
- Comes with a unique slider element to build everything from testimonials to pricing tables
- Advanced responsive settings to set breakpoints for when to display each version of your site
- Custom font uploader to allow you to use whatever fonts you’d like
- Global blocks for items that you plan to use multiple times throughout your site
- Includes 30 additional premium plugins
- Free updates for the theme and the extensions
- Role manager to limit users’ access to specific components of your site
- Undo and redo features so if you make a mistake, you can easily rewind it back
- Toggle between a vertical, horizontal, docked, undocked, big or small workspace setup
- A simple mode option to display only the most essential elements to help you focus
- WooCommerce integration and four unique shop designs are also included if you want to sell
- $79 for a regular license
- $2,900 for an extended license
The word genesis signifies the beginning, birth, or creation of something. It’s a fitting name for a tool that you may end up using to build your new WordPress site. Notice the choice of words: tool, not theme. That’s because that’s what Genesis is and isn’t. It was created to augment the family of themes made by StudioPress. One of its unique features is that it was built on top of WordPress’ own native site builder, which is in contrast to what you’ll typically see with external WordPress site builders. Get into it.
- Get started with 20+ pre-made page layouts or make your own to share with others
- Modify the layouts with a few clicks to delete blocks you don’t want, and add ones you do want
- Additional content blocks were intentionally built on top of the block editor to future-proof the code
- Custom layout option allows you to have a full-width page or a slimmer page with a sidebar
- Control how many columns you want to use to display your content
- Very easy to have either list view or grid view, with no coding required
- Mailchimp integration so you can stay connected with your email list
- Role-based editing permissions ensure that each user has the specific control that he or she needs
- Share your custom library of templates and easily ensure that they stay on-brand
- Arguably the most accessible support program with 24/7 chat assistance
- Transferability option so you can use Genesis and the StudioPress themes on any site you host
- Embed your Google Maps location if you want foot traffic for your local business
- $360 per year, which includes access to all themes from the StudioPress family and a 60-day money back guarantee
- alternatively, you can get the same catalog of all StudioPress themes (and Genesis) included for free if you decide to host your website with WP Engine – the pricing of that starts from $13.00 / month.
Final thoughts on the best WordPress themes featured on this list
As we mentioned in the introduction, there are currently more than 10,000 WordPress themes available for you to choose from, and although we funneled that mega list down to 20 of the best, you still need to pick one that’s going to work for you. So while choosing from 20 is a lot more manageable than choosing from 10,000, it can still feel challenging to navigate.
To help you out, we’ve put together a list of some key factors to keep in mind when picking your ideal theme from this list of best WordPress themes.
A design that matches your needs
It’s essential to choose a theme that aligns with the overall design and aesthetic of your website. It should complement your brand identity, which means that the color scheme and typography your brand uses should be supported. If you plan on launching your brand at the same time as your site, then you’ll have less compatibility issues, since you can opt for something that you know for certain is supported by your theme of choice.
Size and code quality
The size and code quality of a theme can greatly impact the performance and speed of your website. When choosing the best WordPress theme for your site, it’s best to opt for one that is lightweight and well-coded, to ensure a seamless user experience and easy customization.
Speed and optimization
Having a fast website is crucial in 2023. Research done by Google shows that the probability of a site visitor leaving your page increases 32% as page load time goes from one second to three seconds.  That’s only two seconds, but those two seconds can cause you to lose almost a full third of your potential audience! Long story short, make sure your theme is optimized for speed. All of the best WordPress themes are.
Good for mobile
With the majority of internet users accessing websites on mobile devices, it’s crucial to use a theme that is mobile-friendly and responsive. This will ensure that your website looks and functions well for your entire audience, regardless of whether they are on a desktop, laptop, tablet, or cell phone.
Reliable customer support can make all the difference in the event that you run into any issues with your theme – especially if you don’t have a technical background in coding or web development. If that describes you, then you’ll want to take this into account when choosing from the best WordPress themes.
You want to use a WordPress theme that’s kept up-to-date with new developments in WordPress and web technologies in general. Make sure that your theme is updated frequently. You can usually get info about the update frequency from the theme’s changelog.
Finally, before making your decision, it’s important to preview the theme and read reviews from other users. This will give you a better idea of the theme’s performance and whether it will meet your needs. In summary, when choosing from the best WordPress themes, look for one that is reliable, user-friendly and offers regular updates.
Don’t forget to join our crash course on speeding up your WordPress site. Learn more below:
* Any theme with a 🦜 notation was built by our sister company, Themeisle.
* This list of the best WordPress themes contains affiliate links, which means that if you click on one of the links and you choose to purchase the premium version of a theme, we’ll receive a small commission. No worries though, you’ll still pay the standard amount so there’s no additional cost to you.