Is looking for the best WordPress hosting in Europe any different from looking for the best WordPress hosting overall? Let’s find out.
In short, if your target audience is based within Europe then it makes sense to host your website with a company that can cater for a European market. Hosting your site from a server located in a European data center will help ensure fast loading times, high level performance, and a top class user experience for your European visitors.
In this article, we look at the best WordPress hosting in Europe. Particularly, we compare the offerings of:
- SiteGround (www.siteground.com)
- WP Engine (wpengine.co.uk)
- IONOS (www.ionos.co.uk)
- Simplenet (simplenet.io)
- OVH (www.ovh.co.uk)
There are numerous WordPress hosting providers that boast European data centers, and other top features that will enable you to seamlessly run your WordPress website within Europe.
We will discuss the plans and packages that these hosts offer, and their top tools and features. Importantly, we will also consider why they are best placed to host websites catering to a European demographic. Let’s get started; here are the best WordPress hosting services in Europe:
Best WordPress hosting in Europe
SiteGround is a hosting company that offers a range of hosting options including managed WordPress hosting, hosting for eCommerce stores, cloud hosting, and much more. Originally founded in 2004 in Bulgaria, SiteGround now has offices and data centers around the globe.
Let’s check out some of SiteGround’s key features:
- European data centers – SiteGround has three European data centers located in London, Amsterdam, and Eemshaven in the Netherlands.
- Support – SiteGround offers 24/7 support via phone, live chat, and email.
- Price – SiteGround prices start from as little as €3.95 a month for a low-tier shared hosting plan.
- Resources – SiteGround’s recommended shared hosting plan ‘Grow Big‘ will allow you to host an unlimited number of websites, and provides 20GB of web storage and up to 25,000 monthly visits.
- WordPress features – All plans include WordPress installation, the WP Starter site-building wizard, automatic WordPress core and plugin updates, and much more.
SiteGround is moving their server infrastructure to Google Cloud, which helps provide fast loading times and impressive performance. All plans also include SSL certificates, daily backups, and access to a reliable email service, to name a few features.
Equally, you can opt for one of SiteGround’s managed WordPress hosting packages. These include free migration, WordPress staging, a dev toolkit, client collaboration tools, and much more.
WP Engine (wpengine.co.uk)
WP Engine is a renowned managed WordPress hosting company that powers over 120,000 websites in 140+ countries worldwide. Ideal for hosting websites in Europe, and catering to a European audience. WP Engine operates data centers in Belgium, London, Germany, and Ireland.
Here are some of WP Engine’s top features:
- European data centers – WP Engine allows users to select the data center closest to their primary audience. In fact, WP Engine found that customers based in the UK got a 82% reduction in latency when they switched server locations from Belgium to London, so those server locations do matter indeed.
- Support – WP Engine support agents are available 24/7 via phone, live chat, or email.
- Price – WP Engine isn’t a cheap hosting company, but its prices reflect the tools, features, and service that it offers. The WP Engine StartUp plan, which is focused on catering for small websites or blogs, starts at $17.50 a month (all prices are quoted in US dollars).
- Resources – WP Engine allocates resources depending on the package you have chosen. The StartUp plan will allow you to host one website, receive up to 25,000 visits, and will give you access to 10 GB of storage and 50 GB bandwidth a month.
- WordPress features – WP Engine offers the full WordPress experience, with all tools and features designed to support and improve WordPress website performance. All plans benefit from pre-installed WordPress, automated WordPress core and security updates, performance monitoring, and much more.
IONOS is a popular WordPress hosting service in Europe, boasting 10 data centers worldwide, with a number of them based in Germany and the UK. Originally founded in Germany, IONOS (formerly known as 1&1) is now a global hosting company, currently supporting over eight million websites.
Features of IONOS include:
- European data centers – Choose between data centers in London, Berlin, Karlsruhe, and Frankfurt.
- Support – IONOS offers 24/7 phone support from numerous European countries including the UK, Spain, France, Germany, Italy, and more.
- Price – Prices start at just €1 a month for the first year on the entry-tier Business hosting plan.
- Resources – The resources you are entitled to differ greatly depending on the hosting plan you choose. On the main Business plan for WordPress, resources include 100 GB of storage, 10 databases, 100 email accounts, plus you can launch two managed WordPress websites. However, IONOS also offers flexible scaling, automatically changing your memory limits to react to traffic spikes within seconds.
- WordPress features – IONOS offers both shared and professional WordPress hosting. The shared WordPress hosting packages include an online WordPress assistant to help you with website setup, automatic WordPress core updates, and more.
IONOS also offers free lifetime domains with all their shared plans, as well as SSL certificates and access to email.
Simplenet is run by a small team of WordPress experts, offering affordable, high-quality WordPress hosting for small and medium sized businesses. Based out of Romania, Simplenet offers three types of WordPress hosting – Shared, Managed, and Enterprise – each offering a number of plans to suit customers’ needs and budget.
So let’s take a look at Simplenet’s top features:
- European data centers – One data center in Europe located in Romania.
- Support – Simplenet offers ticketed email support as well as extensive documentation via its knowledge base.
- Price – Budget friendly shared hosting starts from just €4.90 a month, and dedicated hosting from €29. However, if you pay yearly, you receive two months hosting for free.
- Resources – These differ greatly depending on the plan. However, on the low-tier shared hosting Starter plan, you can run two websites, get 5 GB SSD, 2GB of RAM, and unlimited bandwidth.
- WordPress features – This WordPress hosting provider offers WordPress optimization and monitoring of performance and security, access to premium WordPress themes and plugins, expert WordPress support, and much more.
With all plans, Simplenet also provides free site migrations, daily backups, free SSL certificates, and a 99.9% uptime guarantee.
French-owned OVH is the largest hosting company in Europe, and currently operates 28 data centers in seven countries, 16 of which are in Europe. Let’s check out its top features:
- European data centers – OVH runs 11 data centers in France, 2 in Germany, 2 in the UK, and 1 in Poland, with a further four centers currently under construction.
- Support – OVH provides different levels of support depending on the hosting package you have purchased. Support options include an extensive knowledge base, as well as ticketed email and phone support.
- Price – OVH offers a budget Personal hosting plan for just €1.99 a month, ideal for a small website or blog.
- Resources – OVH offers a wide assortment of plans, features, and resource allocations. With the Personal plan you get 100 GB of disk space, unlimited traffic, and up to five websites.
- WordPress features – Benefit from a one-click WordPress install as well as support from WordPress-trained agents.
OVH also offers a free domain name for the first year with all plans, SSL certificates, CDN, and more.
You may also be interested in:
- Best Cheap WordPress Hosting: 10 Options for Under $0.99/Month
- WP Engine vs Pagely vs Synthesis vs Flywheel vs GoDaddy WordPress Hosting
- [INFOGRAPHIC] The Good, Bad and Ugly of WordPress Hosting
How to choose a WordPress hosting service in Europe
There are a wide assortment of factors to consider when choosing a WordPress hosting service in Europe. Although some of these factors will differ depending on the needs of your website and audience, here are a few of the key components that you should take into account before making a decision on the right host for your project:
- If your audience is mainly based in Europe then you should choose a host that has data centers located within Europe itself. Hosting your site from a server based in the US, will not give your European users the on-site experience that all valued customers deserve, which consequently may end up costing you in leads and revenue. Always check where a host’s data centers are located, and crucially, whether you can choose the location of your server.
- Not only is high quality support always important from a host, but if your business itself is located within Europe, then you need a host that ensures its support is available within your time zone.
- Many hosting providers offer 24/7 support, which is ideal, or more localized time-specific support options. If you have a preferred way of accessing support (e.g. via telephone) then it is also worth checking to see if this option is offered.
- Researching ratings and reviews of a hosting company is a great way to find out about the service it provides. However, always look for reviews that are relevant to your geographical area. A hosting provider may receive top reviews from US customers, but much lower ratings from its European counterparts.
- With hosting you get what you pay for, so it’s always best to opt for a top tier plan, if your budget can stretch to it. If you are based within Europe, then you may also appreciate paying in Euros, or your local currency – check to see if this is an option.
- Each hosting provider offers different types of hosting options, plans and packages. You will need to research each plan to see what resources are included. Some hosting companies offer unlimited websites, bandwidth and storage. Others limit these resources, so make sure the package you opt for meets your essential requirements.
WordPress specific features:
- Having additional WordPress specific features built into your hosting plan can really help with a quick set up and the smooth running of your website. Useful WordPress features to look out for include: automatic WordPress install, automatic WordPress updates, WordPress staging environment, expert WordPress support.
- Equally you can opt for a WordPress managed hosting plan, catering specifically to all WordPress hosting needs.
Final thoughts on WordPress hosting services in Europe
Evidently, there are a number of impressive WordPress hosting services in Europe to choose from. When making a decision on the right host for your website, think carefully about the needs of your site and your audience, and then choose the service that is the best fit.
Want some quick honest advice? Here it is:
- If you’re here for the cheapest hosting option for a WordPress site in Europe, go with IONOS. It’s hard to beat just €1 a month for the initial period.
- Want to get a fully managed and hands-free WordPress hosting solution? WP Engine is always a good choice.
- Looking for a solution that’s in the middle – not too expensive but also very capable? You can never go wrong with SiteGround. They’re quite affordable, still offer good server performance and are known for their exceptional customer service.
Which WordPress hosting service is best for your project? Please share your thoughts in the comments below.
What is WordPress hosting?
WordPress hosting is a special type of web hosting that has been optimized to work with WordPress websites. Compared to standard web hosting, WordPress hosting offers automated updates of the platform, backups, and extra features built in.
How to look for WordPress hosting in Europe?
The main factor to keep in mind is the server location. If your audience is in Europe but your server is in the US, then your website won't load quickly enough for those European visitors. When choosing your host, also take note of how much traffic your server can handle. Apart from that, get a host that you can afford. More expensive doesn't always mean better in the hosting world.
How much do I have to pay for hosting in Europe?
Do I also get a domain name included with my hosting?
Do I need to know coding to set up a WordPress website?
Don’t forget to join our crash course on speeding up your WordPress site. With some simple fixes, you can reduce your loading time by even 50-80%: